Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bittersweet Week

Monsoon season has officially begun and we are getting soaked. It brings back a lot of memories with my trainer Sister Chao. The wet days were always the worst but yet the most fun? I don't know how that works. I'm so grateful that I'm getting soaked with a fun companion again.
Every day walking out the door was like walking into a sauna but it's cool, we were so sweaty we hardly noticed anymore. Monday night we slept over at the mission home because we had our mission training council the next day. It was fun chatting with President and Sister Morrise. The best part was getting to sleep in actual beds!! With huge comfy pillows! :D It was our best sleep yet. When we had to come home and sleep in our yo's again we were disappointed. We had gotten so used to sleeping on those we forgot what real comfort felt like.
At MLC we received training on how we can better work with member and emphasize on having more member present lessons when we teach investigators. While there I also gave what's called a 마지막 말씀(Ma-gee-mak mar-sim) Which is translated to last words. I have no clue if other missions do this or if it's just a Korean tradition, but all missionaries who are returning home give their 마지막 말씀 at the last MLC (if they attend) and the last zone training. I remember being a greenie and thinking that the day I finally gave my 마지막 말씀 would never come. Well, it came. I gave my 마지막 말씀 at MLC. I only had Monday night to prepare so it wasn't nearly as good as the one I gave at zone training. I talked about my mission motto of "life's a climb, but the view is great." I of coarse cried a bit but the second time is always a charm and I didn't cry then. Giving my 마지막 말씀 meant that I really am going home and wasn't just me dreaming. IT'S REALLY HAPPENING! I don't want to leave Korea yet, but at the same time I feel like it's time. My mission is coming to an end. It's really a bittersweet feeling.

As for area news, we met with our investigator 한재희 again. She planned to commit her to a baptismal date, but that quickly changed when we sat down at her kitchen table and we learned her heart isn't quite ready yet. She is very energetic and kind so she seems open on the outside, but her heart is still very closed to the message of the restoration. Last weekend we invited her to church, but she declined. She told us this week she was sorry for giving us the impression that she was investigating our church. She was a lot more vocal about how she was interested in English. As in talking about God in English. She still wants to meet us and we had a good lesson, but the spirit wasn't really strong. It wasn't time to give her a baptismal date yet. We weren't able to visit with our other investigator because she was sick. We are trying to stay in touch with her though, as well as Crystal. I told Crystal in a text that I'd rather have her attend church with us again than going out to eat somewhere together. I'm trying to show her that her coming to church would mean more to me than her just buying us dinner.
We only have a day and a morning to prepare our training for zone training. Sister Holt and I really wanted to make it fun and not a typical boring training. Our topic of training was on teaching investigators the importance of church attendance and the Zone leaders taught on working with members. After thinking of a ton of lame cheesy ideas, we came up with a fun game. We had 6 different Elders in our zone. 2 being investigators blindfolded, and the other 4 as companions had to guide their investigator through different obstacles that they may have on their way to church. The zone seemed to love it and we got a lot of compliments on it. Guess that's a good way to tell you don't suck right? Sister Holt and I were worried they wouldn't like it and so we also gave them treats every time they participated. Bribing always works ;) haha

We had a good visit with Sarah Cha and her kids on Friday. Still haven't attended the English group at the University of Utah Asia Campus, but the kids really liked the lesson we taught them on how the Holy Ghost protects and warns us. All we used was a Q-tip, hand sanitizer, and a lighter. They loved it. In fact, the boys were fighting over who got to do it. Kids? There's only so much you can do haha. Then on Saturday we had a fun ward sports activity where some of the elders were able to bring their investigators. It was so fun. I even finally got to play some volleyball. They had a bunch of fun games to play with food as prizes. So Sister Holt and I combined got a ton of food. Which was much needed because we still haven't gone grocery shopping since we moved in to our new apartment. Seriously, the Lord always provides <3

This coming week we have a lot more planned including 3 member present lessons. At MLC we made a goal as a mission to get at least 98 member present lessons for this coming week. Our zone is 14, which is 1 per companionship. That sounds so small when you compare to other missions, but it's hard. It's possible, but definitely requires praying for a miracle and lots of faith. Thankfully the ward members in this ward are so awesome and willing to help, so Sister Holt and I asked 3 different members and we're trying our best to have a member present whenever we teach. Our stats were really low this past week, mostly because of all the different meetings we had to attend. However, we still feel terrible for not setting a good example for the sister missionaries in our zone. So, Sister Holt and I plan to be better about that. If our area isn't an example for the other areas then we aren't doing our job as leaders.
There's always room for improvement right?
Some last news, which is rather good news, is that we have a new potential investigator. This woman randomly came to church at the stake center so the Sister missionaries got her information and sent it to us, because she actually lives in our area. We contacted her and made an appointment for this Thursday. EEK! There's a chance she might just be a less active member but either way it's a miracle! :D Like always, I'll let you know how it goes.
I love you all so much!
Sister Kelly<3

Oh and P.S. Sister Holt and I think everyone is going to be glowing with light and glory so much in Heaven that we're all going to be albino. haha We saw an albino Korean girl and somehow this deep doctrine came up?? I don't know haha






No comments:

Post a Comment