Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Three Months!

May 26
It's my anniversary today! I've been on my mission for 3 whole months now! Crazy how time flies on by when you are doing the Lord's work. This past week really wasn't too jam packed with anything special. But yup.. it still went by super quick. On Friday we had service at the community center and this old 할먼이 (grandma) was telling me I'm pretty and a bunch of other things I didn't understand. I think she even did a palm reading of my hands haha. While serving she said lots of things to me like asking if I have a husband and stuff and then she gave me money! It was only $2 and she kind of scared me when I had tried to decline it so I just told my companion and then she gave money to her to!! haha so we tried our best to explain we can't keep the money and we will give it to the mission office. She got super upset so we just smiled and took the money haha. Aren't old grandma's so fun? haha I am always laughing because they compliment me or they just make me feel so dumb cause I have no clue what they just said haha.

I also started to have a cold so my companion decided to let me sleep the rest of the day hoping i'd get better faster. It didn't help much. I woke up Saturday morning feeling much worse.

I got to see my awesome MTC district that day though. We had a fun 12 week follow up. Everyone seems to be doing so great in their areas and liking their companions. It made me happy to be able to see that they all were still themselves. I missed them all a ton! So it'll be so great seeing them again this Saturday for the Joint Mission Conference with the apostle Elder Cook coming to speak. It's with Seoul mission and Seoul South so it will be like 400 missionaries! crazy!  I can't wait :)

Now, every time I've written home and then logged off the computer I start having things recall to my mind what I wish I would have mentioned. So, this past week I decided to write things down so I WOULD NOT FORGET TO TELL YOU!!! haha 미 친 사 람이 예 요 means you are a crazy person. Ryan asked me to figure it out so there you go! It's actually pretty rude to say this to just anyone. People just say to people they are close with like friends.

I have eaten korean every single day this past week. I think I liked everything I ate too. One was just ramen, another is a rice burger, and then I had something that tasted like meatloaf. sooo good! So I won't starve here haha.

So not this Sunday but last Sunday, My companion and I decided to attend primary with all the little kids. I ended up getting asked to teach "follow the prophet" chorus in english to all the little kids. It took some effort because it's been a while since I was in primary so I had to remember the words. Sister Chao helped me though :) And the little kids loved it!! And Yesterday at church the primary president asked why we didn't go to primary that day. Instead, we went to relief society because I had to give a short spiritual thought. I wasn't sure what to do it on so I chose Jacob 4:7 from the Book of Mormon. I think tried my best to explain that not knowing how to speak korean is my weakness. and it's only with the Lord's help that I am able to learn and understand korean.
So that was that.. but anyway, the primary president really wanted us to come back to primary from now on because the kids actually remembered what I had taught them and they want to learn more songs in english haha. Cute right? So that will be fun.

Now I've also been meaning to add to my emails the strange or weird things about korean or the things korea has. so here's what I've got so far:
1. pimple bandaids. Everyone wheres them. They just are like a small skin colored sticker that they put over their pimples. lol Supposedly they really help heal the pimple. I haven't found them anywhere yet to buy some and try them out.

2. face masks. Just look at my pictures.. They aren't like face masks in america where it's a cream and it hardens hahah
3. 잔도사 's are crazy bold!! So other churches always are giving out free tissues or hand wipes with their name on it. But there was one experience I will never forget. Last Sunday we went to a park. I think it's called central park and everyone goes there! IT WAS SO CROWDED!! It was a huge park they have little water fountain for kids to play in so lots and lots of families have picnics there on the weekends. So we went there to try and talk to people and when we left me noticed that these 잔도사 's were on different corners every where just reading out loud saying repent! and a bunch of other things like you must be baptized! and then it just made me feel uncomfortable. But at the same time I just smiled at them and said hello whenever we walked by because they know who we are so i want them to know we are friendly. but yeah it's always an interesting experience when people mistake us missionaries as 잔도사 's.

4. STUDENTS! So they are just like the plastics in mean girls. Each group has a leader of their little pack. So Sister Chao and I are always laughing as we try and guess who is the leader when we see them on the buses and on the streets.
5. COUPLES!! couples always match their clothes. Like if you aren't matching then that means you really don't love them. so a lot of teenage couples match even down to the shoes! haha Sister Chao and I just laugh every time we see them because it's so cheesy.

Alright, that's all I have for now! I love you all so very much!! I get to go to the Seoul Temple this Thursday so that will be so awesome! I can't wait because it will be in ENGLISH!! yay!!! Yup you read correctly! Sister Chao told me that they have a session at the temple just for foreign missionaries. Sweet huh?
anyways, I love you!!
Talk to you all next week!!
Sister Kelly




No comments:

Post a Comment