Monday, May 19, 2014

I love McDonald's!!

May 11 (Mother’s Day)
It was so great being able to talk to you today! I love you all so very much. I wish I didn't have to end our phone call, but 45 minutes was up unfortunately :(
Since I talked to you I really don't have much to say.. so I will just share what I will be doing today. After emailing I will be going shopping with some sisters in our zone. They are hilarious. Sister rose and sister wright. (hopefully I spelled her name right) but yeah then we will go eat and then we go out and talk to people after 6pm. I'm hoping to practice some new phrases I learned. Like "How is your day" "i like your shoes" whatever like that haha
I sent you lots of pictures so I hope you have fun looking at those. By next week, I'm sure I will have lots of more fun stories to tell you. I love you all so very much and please please please send me pics of all your adventures too. I love seeing things from back home!
take care till next week!!
Oh and Happy Mother's Day mommy!!
Love,
켈리자매

May 18
Well, here we are again. Can you believe it's been a whole week since I last talked to you? Does it go by fast for all of you or is that just me? I really don't know what normal time feels like outside of being a missionary now haha. I guess that's okay though. I'm always keeping myself busy. I think this week went by super quickly because we had our monthly zone conference. But I am getting ahead of myself. Let me just start from the beginning of this weeks adventures haha.
So,on 5/13 I went on my first companion exchange!! Yay for those!! I went to 금 천 시 to be with Sister Hales, the sister training leader and Sister Lyman came and was with my companion in Anyeong. It was weird but good at the same time. I really really missed Anyeong though and my huge apartment. They have 4 sisters in one small apartment so it really made me appreciate how lucky I have it in Anyeong. Except they have a dryer and an actual oven, unlike me soo that's the only advantage they have over me haha.
Then Thursday 5/14, I came back to Anyeong and had lunch with 김 용 희 who is a young single adult less active in our ward. She is also a return missionary. She is way cool! Super nice!! She took us to lunch at a Korean BBQ place. I ate some pork and actually liked it. Cool right??
Oh and before my exchange on Wed, we had a dinner meal at a member's house. She is super nice. Her name is 전 종 숙. She is an older lady in the ward. She is so excited and willing to help us not only with Korean but with teaching. So we will most likely go over there weekly. I took pictures of what she fed us. (Pics 101-1955 through 101-1960 hopefully you can figure out that.) 1956 is octopus. I tried one piece... not much of a taste haha. then 1959 is garlic root.. man did that leave our breath smelling bad!! We seriously brushed our teeth that night a ton and it just wouldn't go away. By lunch the next day it was thankfully all gone haha. She also fed us each like 3 servings of spaghetti. We were so stuffed!!!
After our lunch with the ysa less active we had to do weekly planning so we went and did that at McDonalds. YAY! I love McDonalds!! It's so fancy and clean here haha.

On Friday was our Zone conference, we went on a hike to a fortress. It was the only fortress not conquered by the Chinese( I think??) I understand why too though. That hike was literally all up hill. I was so tired!! But it was nice being in regular clothes for a change. Being in skirts and dresses every day is fine, but it was just a really good change haha. So, have fun looking at all the fun pictures I took. One of my zone leaders, Elder Kasparian, is in a majority of my pictures. He is also in my district so that's way cool.
After the hike a lot of us went back to the mission home area and ate dinner there. I remembered to take pictures of what I ate. (101-2127 I think) I am nicknaming this meal as "worms" because it looks like worms coming out of soggy mud. Doesn't it? It's really called 들 ㄱ개 칼 국 수. I actually liked it too. It wasn't super delicious, but I had no trouble eating it. According to the other missionaries, that was the choice I'd most likely be okay with eating everything at that restaurant was cold noodles. They tend to serve cold noodles in the summer because it's just so humid and hot.
In my pictures I also included some random pictures of the city or weird art they have around here in Korea. My favorite is the lemonhead, icecream and poop hahah. Random to see that in a park haha.

There is also a picture of Sister Chao laying on the floor with her face down. This was when we got home from just being rejected by a girl who works at HomePlus (kind of like a Walmart). Whenever we would shop there we would go and say hi to here and she was so nice to us and loved talking to us. We always felt so bad talking to her while she was at work though, so we decided we wanted to ask her to hang out sometime outside of work on her day off. Unfortunately through our bad Korean, she thought we were wanting to make an appt. to teach her about our church. I mean gladly we'd teach her if she wanted us to, but she was just so nice and really close to our age so we just wanted to be friends. So, we haven't gone back since.. we were seriously really sad. But sometime this week we hope to just try again. She is going to be moving to Daejon so we just wanted to hang out before she moves. Is that so bad? We just want her to have a good opinion of missionaries so that if she were to see the missionaries in Daejon than maybe, just maybe she would be interested in learning more.
So, that's that. On Friday we also were planning a big meal for our two young investigators. One is 12 (the girl) and her brother is 10 I think. So we have been really trying to help her have a better experience at church. She comes every week because her parents make her, but she doesn't have any friends. So this meal was the best opportunity. We asked the young women's president if we could have a meal at her house with them there. Her daughter would be there too so that'd be great for them to possibly become friends. So, that was all great. All we needed to do was make sure that she and her brother could actually go. She told us a maybe and that she'd ask her mother. We were so nervous I immediately told my companion that we need to pray. So.. what did we do? We prayed!
And while on our way to dinner that Friday night after our zone conference, we heard that she could go!! Amazing right? We were super excited! We just knew this was seriously a good opportunity. Then we told the young women's president and she ended up having to cancel on us because she found out she has a stake young women's presidency meeting or something like. So ughhh! Just our luck right?! What were we to do?
Well, through lots and lots of prayers and thinking, we came to the conclusion to call the bishop's wife on Saturday asking her for help. And I am happy to say that last night we had such an amazing dinner at the bishop's home with all the young women, and our two investigators. It was great!! It's a good start to really helping them progress in forming friendships in the ward I think.
Anyways, I will try to answer your questions really fast cause I don't have much time left. My ward is about 65 people coming weekly. That includes children, youth, and adults. Sister Chao's family is small. She has an older brother and younger sister and two lovely parents. She speaks mostly in English to me. but also in Korean too. It just depends on what we are doing. The buses really are very clean and the trains too. Everything in Korea is super clean actually. We didn't have service this week because we had zone conference instead. The vocab daily varies.
anyway! I love you all! Talk to you next week!!
Sister Kelly
Octopus

Garlic root

Lemonhead, Poop, and Ice Cream art
Amanda's new favorite food in South Korea

Rejected






"soggy worms"

No comments:

Post a Comment