Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Oh the Joy of Being a Missionary!

This past Friday, as my companion and I were walking to go to an appointment, we reach a light intersection where a lot of people are. At this intersection we can cross diagonally in middle of the street on a crosswalk instead of go to one street and then the other crosswalk after that. When we got to the crosswalk I had a prompting from the spirit to cross diagonally to the other side of the street. Not really thinking anything of it, telling myself it wasn't necessary to cross that way and staying on this side of the street was fine. Crosswalk light turns green saying we can cross, and a herd of people begin to cross wherever which way. With the huge crowd of people I never really noticed what was on the side of the street that I chose to say on. Just as we finished crossing the crosswalk I see a foreign white man proselyting (in Korean) to every one that walks by, saying "you must repent! Or you will go to hell!" that's all I caught because of the little Korean I know. I immediately regretted not choosing to cross to the other side of the street, but I had hope that since I was in a huge crowd of people, maybe he wouldn't notice us. Of coarse, I forgot I am also a redheaded foreigner in the middle of a crowd of Koreans. Who wouldn't notice me?
As soon as we walked by him, he recognized us as "Mormon" missionaries. He asked us to stop and wanted to ask us one question (saying this all in English to me completely ignoring my korean companion). And to be kind, we stopped only to realize that he wanted to "bible bash" with us. He started off by asking, "what do we have to do to go to heaven?" and I began to feel a burning within my chest-knowing that it was the spirit. I stood there just looking at him thinking of what I was to say. I said a prayer as fast as I could in my head asking for the spirit to be with me, and immediately the feeling with my head grew stronger and stronger. Now there are many answers that one could say to answer this man's questions, but I knew he was looking for a certain one so I stayed quiet, trying to let the spirit guide me. My companion also was quiet (mostly cause he was speaking really fast in English and she didn't know what he was saying) I decided to tell him, "follow Jesus Christ" In my mind I was thinking that Jesus Christ says over and over again "come unto me", "follow me" etc etc. and He set the example for how we should live our lives. When we follow Him, we strive to do all he did (be baptized, be charitable, etc) but immediately the man said, "No! that's wrong. The answer is believe in Jesus." Then he continued on saying because I answered slowly it shows my lack of knowledge and then went on telling about how he used to be catholic and how "Mormons" are just like Catholics. A cult and they tell you you have to be a "Jack Mormon".  How I'm going to hell. He even said, my companion is ok because she is Korean and doesn't know better, but because I'm not I am going to hell because I don't believe in Jesus Christ. The more and more he talked the stronger I felt the spirit even to the point that my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I remember hearing explicitly these words in my head, "Leave! You have to leave now."He continued on and on stating many false beliefs about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, like the usual false things like that we worship Joseph Smith and that he wrote the Book of Mormon, etc. I knew we needed to leave, not only because he wanted to argue with us but mostly because we had an appointment we had to get to. So just as I was about to speak up and bear a quick testimony, my companion spoke (in English) to him. I noticed he actually listened to her as she bore her testimony, and I as I began to speak he wasn't wanting to listen he just tried to talk over me as I clearing stated the church's real name "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I emphasized Jesus Christ's name and quickly told him that I know this church is true and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Because I have read it and prayed about it and the spirit testified of it's truth to me. He was silent as I said that probably because he was thinking of how he can find fault in what I said. When I noticed he couldn't, I said that he can't take away what I know to be true. His only comeback was that Jesus can. Which really doesn't make much sense.. so after we finally got the chance to leave my companion and I talked it over and we learned a lot from that experience. My testimony has only been strengthened from it and I will continue to do what I came to Korea to do, to share the gospel. I also learned that it's really really difficult to be like the Savior and have compassion and charity towards everyone, but after reflecting on this experience, I just feel sorry for this man. Some where in his life he must have had a hard time, maybe he still is. But he still is a child of God and I never knew I could have Christlike love for a man such as this, but I really did. I just felt sorry and wanted to help him, but he wasn't open to listening.
I know this Church true and that Jesus Christ lives. I am not ashamed of my testimony and I will forever share it.
Love, Sister Kelly

 2 Nephi 7:6-7" I gave my back to the smiter, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair. I hid not my face from shame and spitting.
  For the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed."

Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..."



No comments:

Post a Comment