Thursday, April 10, 2014

MTC Week 6

Letter # 1
Mom & everyone else!

So I actually just got your recent Dear Elder RIGHT after I finished emailing so lucky you!  You get a letter from me as well.

Next Sunday will be the beginning of our 7th week. This means we wear the same outfit all week long.  The other sisters did this and asked us to do it.  We are testing if the Elders will notice at all or how long it takes them to notice.  The other sisters’ elders didn’t notice till like Wednesday and they stared on Sunday  So I’ll let you know how that goes.

I have to tell you what Elder Bryner said  Speaking Korean is like “Inception.” This past week was so hard because we learned how to say longer sentences. That might sound easy but it’s not.  TRUST ME!

Cool story:  Sister Peterson went home (she was in the other district) because the lst week she had promptings to go home cause she was suppose to get married  Long story short her Zone resource teacher Brother Christensen thought she was cute.  She ended up going home and had a friend request from him.  She emailed us today saying they already have 2 dates planned.  So we are excited because we think the reason she was suppose to go on a mission was to meet him and now hopefully they will get married.  We all are going to tell the next sisters on "Pass-downs" that the man’s watch I got is about them. haha Cute huh?

Anyways, I love you!
Kelly  자매

Letter # 2
4/3
These natives are the BEST so far. We laugh all the time with them. Sadly, I like them even more than the 1st natives I met. These sisters and Elders are more outgoing and have shared pictures and stories. I feel I got to know them better. Sadly, they are all going to Daejon or Pusan missions. :( So I may never see them again. But we get new missionaries on Wednesday. Americans! I think 5 new sisters so I can't wait! :)

4/6
 So today has been so good, but also crappy. Last night I hardly got any sleep because I got this cold. Now today it got worse so I have felt like blah all day. General Conference was great and all but my favorite part was saying goodbye to the natives. They are the sweetest! I will miss them all so much! They sang As Sisters in Zion/Army of Helaman and all together we sang God Be With You Till We Meet Again. All in Korean. Loved it! I took videos of it so I'll have to send those to you. Probably when I feel better...

Love,
Kelly 자매

Letter # 3
4-4-14 Before General Conference

Mom!
Thanks for the Dear Elder.  To answer your questions.  Elder Ostermiller broke his elbow like I thought. The radial head? I don’t know bones very well. He is not going home, but is getting delayed 2 weeks.  I  am  praying he’ll heal fast and will still leave with  us to Korea April 28.  But he is such a guy! Even though he broke his arm/elbow, he still is playing foursquare during gym.  Made all us sisters mad.  He’s dumb.

(editor’s note:  another ‘DUMB BLONDE” moment for Sister Kelly)
No April Fools’ Pranks.  No one really cared about it.  I woke up and put my green dress on and Didn’t even realize it was April Fools day until I was in class and wrote the date.  So, my brain knew but the rest ofme had no remembrance of it ha ha.No pinches for me, thankfully!

Hosting the new incoming missionaries was good. I noted two international girls.  I think I told you this in my last letter. But I’m hoping we get to host this Wednesday so we can meet and host the new sisters going to Korea :)
That’ll be so fun. I think we are getting 5 sisters.

I don’t think I am spoiled about getting mail.  I now will only get emails once a week with like no letters overall but that doesn’t mean I can’t be sad when I don’t receive them.   It was just different last week that because I normally have one from at least someone in our family.  It’s okay.  I know you’re all busy.

I hope you enjoyed General Conference. I wish I could have sugared up on the couch and watched it with you, but technically we did watch it together just in different states/  Next Conference we’ll be in different countries! Crazy!

Speaking of South Korea.  The older district emailed us and they are doing great.  They mentioned they went and did the “bath house but yeah…They take all the new missionaries to those bath houses.  It’s basically a huge hot tub but everyone is naked. Why would they take the missionaries to do that?  Sister Gooch said its just to get you
immersed in the culture.  AWKWARD!

Also, tell Tyler that I’m sorting hating the “Frozen” movie too.  The sisters in the other district sing it ALL the time.  The “Let It Go” and “Do You Want to Build a Snowman” songs make me want to pouch a wall! I still like them but not when they sing them all loud and obnoxious. Ugh!  Or if they sing it like everyday.  So, year, I know how he feels.

With Conference I wish I could relax on a couch instead on the bleachers in the big room.  They said no blankets so sadly I could never get comfortable. We sit WAY too much ugh!

I”m excited at the same time though so that I can experience conference while at the MTC.  As a missionary shouldn’t be that much different but still cool.

I just wish I could go to actual conference and be there when all that drama “Ordain Women” is going on.  It’s crazy they all think their opinion matters but the Lord’s church isn’t a government where we get to vote and stuff.  It’s the Lord church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  So the Ordain Women Movement is so totally against the way the Lord runs His church.  They will NEVER see results.  Women’s role is to be a nurturer and a mother not to hold the Priesthood.  We have an even greater purpose: to create life.  We are like God who created our spirits.That’s beautiful.   We can create LIFE!  And men can’t!  Why on earth would we need more responsibility?  The men have the Priesthood to measure up to our great worth. Why do think we and the world never talk much about a Heavenly Mother.  I know and believe we have one.  Especially because families are ordained of God.  But Heavenly Father holds her sacred and doesn’t want people taking her name in vain like so often  people do with his and Jesus Christ’s name. How those supporter don’t understand that I have no idea.  But I so badly wish that I could be there in Temple Square singing hymns as a missionary against the protestors.  I remember when we went to General Conference back when Pres. Hinckley was still alive, I remember walking by the protestors.  One said, “Mormons worship Joseph Smith!”  Then we just walk barely a foot or two and there were missionaries singing in a line together a beautiful hymn, “I Believe in Christ”.  I’d LOVE to do that! Ha!  In your face protestors.  I know what I believe is true.  You can’t change it.  This is the Lord’s church and NOTHING  cam stop the work.  Same with gay rights….don’t quite understand.  But once again, we AREN’T a GOVERNMENT. This is the Lord’s Church.  The prophet receives revelation directly from the Lord himself.  Don’t they know that?  I do!

I wish I could help everyone see and believe what I believe.  To find joy and happiness in what the gospel brings and blesses in our lives.  Can you tell I’m a missionary? haha I can’t wait for Conference.

Saturday after Conference

I’m not feeling too good.  My throat isn’t sore but I feel all connected in my chest.  If I try to cough it hurts so hopefully mucunex will help. I’ve really like the talks so far.  Neil Anderson’s was my favorite along with Hollands, of course.

I feel hot but Van Weezep has felt my head and I don’t have a fever so that’s good.  I just don’t get why I feel like this. :(

Sunday before Conference

I woke up feeling worse.  Didn’t get much sleep last nigh.  Don’t worry.  I’m taking medicine and my vitamins so hopefully I’ll already feel better by the time you read this letter.

The natives leave tomorrow morning.  They were just practicing singing As Sisters in Zion/Army of Helaman Medley in Korean.They are singing for us tonight I think and so Sister Good, Sister Johnson and Sister VanWeezep and I all listened.  The spirit was so strong.  I love Koreans! :)  They sang so beautifully and I have no rout this church is true  It has to be!  The restored gospel is all over the world. I’m doing to South Korea!  It’s true and I love it!

Before Bed after Sunday Conference
My cold or whatever is getting worse.  I feel all gross and sore in my throat too.  Chest still congested.

General Conference was so great.  Besides me trying not to fall asleep and feeling weak and exhausted.

The natives are so sweet.  They sang for us officially and then afterwards we all sang “God Be With You Till We Meet Again”.  In Korean of course.  It was very spiritual.  I love each and everyone of the missionaries in my branch.  I cannot wait to finally go.  I partly wish we could leave with them.  Sadly, I still have 3 weeks left.

Hopefully, I’ll feel better soon. I’ll keep you updated.  My inhaler might be needed.  Don’t send it though.  I’ll be okay.  My chest just feels so congested.

I love you.  I can’t wait to hear back from you!

Lots of love,
Kelly

Letter # 4
Hey there! Well, I have good news and bad news. What do you want first?
Good news? Ok, I'll give you the good news first no matter what you were just thinking.. haha.
So, yesterday we got our lovely new missionaries. 5 sisters and 1 elder. One sister and one elder is from Australia! Awesome right?! I love their accents!! The Sister from Australia is also Samoan so her last name is hard to pronounce, but she's way nice and super funny. I loved her right when I met her. As for the others, I haven't really had a chance to talk to them yet. I hosted Sister Amatuanai (Australian sister) yesterday so that's how I got to know her.
I'm really excited to get to know all of them though. Oh and just a side note yes, the Elder won't have a companion. He is a solo missionary. So he gets a lovely sticker on his name tag. Cool for him I guess. Except he is the only elder in his class/district haha. Poor guy!

Now for the bad news... I'm sick. Well, no need to worry I am feeling better right now. On Sunday I noticed I was congested in my chest and so I took muccinex( however you spell that) thinking that would help. It didn't. I woke up Monday morning feeling like all sore and tired. I got maybe 4 hours of sleep. I didn't eat much for breakfast because I didn't have much of an appetite. Knowing my mother would want me to be eating something, I did my best to eat a banana and yogurt to tied me over till lunch. When I got to class, I felt super lousy and I just knew I had a fever. I had everyone check my head and some said I was normal, some said I felt hot. I didn't know I was doing this until my companion told me. She said she was super proud of me. Even when I was feeling terrible and our teacher Brother Campbell said I could just relax, I still was the one participating the most in class. As soon as it was lunch time I went straight to the health office to make an appointment. I wanted to know if I had the same virus that these other two elders had. Maybe they gave it to me. So, I made my appt. for 4:20pm because I didn't want to miss my lesson. I soon rejected it only because during class with Sister Allen I felt even worse. My head felt like those walls that get closer and closer together and squish whatever is in between it. Of course I had to teach too huh? Just my luck! I told Sister Van Weezep she would do all the talking and I'd just pray and bare my testimony of what she is saying. Except, I surprised myself and ended up saying a lot. I felt the spirit prompt me to say things so I did. I was able to endure the lesson and it really was a good lesson I think. I didn't use any notes, I spoke korean directly by the spirit. It was great. Besides, the being sick part. After we taught I had to endure till 3:20pm which was then gym time. I just sat in class right next to the air conditioner, hoping it would help. It didn't. I just hurt. As soon as class was over, Sister Gooch offered to go with me to the doctors early
since she didn't want to go to gym and Van Weezep did. I was praying they would take me early. Thankfully, they had a free nurse who was able to help me. She called me back and then took my temperture... turns out.. yup! I had a fever! She didn't tell me the temperature, but  either way it hurt my head and I was feeling exhausted. She then noticed I coughed and asked how I'm feeling. I told her I had congestion in my chest so she took me to a examining room and said she was going to do a strep test. While she got everything ready, I couldn't help but let out tears. I felt so sick and my head hurt. I just wanted to be home. When the nurse saw me she then comments, "I know it's hard sweetie not feeling good and being away from home." That didn't help me one bit! She at least gave me a tissue before she left the room. I really wanted my mommy. I needed you so bad mom. Thankfully, I got through it. When the nurse came back I had composed myself and she gave me medicine for the fever. She then told me to go wait out in the waiting room till they called my name. Ugh! I was waiting there forever!! They ended up calling me at my original appt. time. Where I then waited a whole other 10-15 minutes waiting for the doctor to come in the examining room. Turns out my fever was just my body's reaction to viral bronchitis. He just said to get rest and not work out until I feel better. Oh and take medicine for the fever to keep it down. Tuesday and Wednesday I had a really bad runny nose and felt worse, but everyone was so nice and offered to give me medicine. So that helped. Sister Gooch gave me her cough drops. So amazing how that's actually really help. She also has been letting me use her DoTerra esstential oils. (Emily knows what those are haha) They helped some. I just asked Michelle to give me medicine so I'm not using the other sister's medicine. I feel bad. So, thanks Michelle for getting that for me. You're so nice! I love you! I still feel a little sick, but I'm thinking it will go away very soon.

My investigators both watched conference. Thank goodness! I was worried they might now. I'm teaching Yusoyoung about the law of chastity next. It's been interesting and very funny learning those vocabulary. haha, but yeah we have to teach her it before she is baptized on Saturday so that's that. My other investigator is having a tough time. He just got evicted! Crazy twist right there! Haha but he said he will come to church this Sunday so that's great. Which then I felt the spirit remind he needs to know the address of the church. I asked him if he knows where it is, of coarse he said no. Sister Van Weezep and I just looked at each other, trying to figure out how to explain in Korean where to go. While she was figuring out how to write a fake address (only because this investigator is pretend remember. we wouldn't really give a fake address lol) I was trying to figure out places in Korea that I could say. Of coarse, the only one I know is McDonald's! Ha! So, what did I do? Yup, I asked him in korean if he knew where McDonald's was. He said yes! Sister Van Weezep and I smiled in relief. I knew the spirit helped guide me to figure out what to say. I then told him McDonald's was next to the church and we will meet him there. It was great. So, yeah hopefully he goes. It would really help him progress. He needs that. I just know it. He still won't pray for us of course, but I'm hoping coming to church will help with that. We'll see.

The natives are gone now, but we get more next week I think. I'm super dooper excited to go to Korea. I'm thinking of filming myself saying something in Korean so you all can hear me. I figured you all might like that. I almost know the first vision so maybe I'll do that haha. We'll see. Elder Ostermiller is doing better. He says he can move his arm a lot better now. I'm praying he can heal fast and still leave with us. We'll see. 

Love,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment